Application deadline14.02.2018 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract (SC)
Language requiredFluency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian, and Russian languages is a must
Expected duration of assignment3 months, 1 March 2018 – 31 May 2018
| Duty Station:
| EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine
(change of location within the country might be required)
EUBAM Office in Ukraine
Head of EUBAM Office in Ukraine
General Functions: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of EUBAM Office in Ukraine and overall supervision of the Chief of Administration the incumbent assists in smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Ukraine. The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the National Finance Officer, National Administrative/Human Resources Officer and National Procurement and Logistics Officer of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Assure smooth operational running of the project by means of following IOM and EU established operational rules and procedures;
- Participate in project activities preparation, implementation and follow up;
- Provide logistical support (travel arrangements, including visas, tickets, etc.) to the EUBAM experts;
- Collect, analyze and prepare background information for the Mission;
- Facilitate project audit, monitoring, evaluation, field visits, missions of the experts;
- Prepare Mission and project related correspondence;
- Maintain contacts with governmental and non-governmental institutions, local authorities, NGOs, academia, etc.;
- Participate in data collection, analysis and maintenance of projects related files;
- Contributing to the project annual and quarter work-plans preparation and reporting;
- Assure that the progress reporting is done in timely and quality manner based on the requirements of the IOM, project donors and Mission management;
- Facilitate project related training/learning activities;
- Provide oral and written translations from English into Ukrainian or Russian and vice versa as required by the project;
- Proofread and/or edit the project’s correspondence and other official documents;
- Readily accept temporary assignments involving travelling to other EUBAM Offices or Units within the country of deployment on demand;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree in foreign languages, business administration, international relations or other related fields;
- At least 5 years of progressive experience, preferably in international environment;
- Fluency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian, and Russian languages is a must;
- Experience with technical assistance projects is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems;
- Physical aptness and willingness to travel and accept temporary assignments in other EUBAM Offices or Units within the country of deployment.
Email your CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications February 14, 2018; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2020.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS representatives perform the customs control duties, supported by MoIA representatives. Six BMA subdivisions, in which foreigners can voluntarily register or de-register, are also located on the boundary line.