Application deadline12.03.2017 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract
Language requiredFluency in Romanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement
Expected duration of assignment20 March 2017 – 30 November 2017
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is looking for Driver (Field Office Otaci) within European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM), according to the Terms of Reference below, to start on 20 March 2017.
Duty Station: Otaci, Moldova
Organizational unit: Field Office Otaci
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Field Office Otaci and under overall supervision of Chief of Administration the incumbent contributes to a smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission in the Republic of Moldova. The employee assists in the effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions, including driving and administrative support management.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for other related repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Performs minor vehicle repairs, plans and arranges for other repairs, replacements, services and maintenance procedures in a way most convenient for the office;
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, preparation of monthly summary of fuel consumption and report to Procurement Specialist in the Republic of Moldova;
- Provide reliable and safe driving services by:
- driving Mission vehicles for the transport of EUBAM personnel
- delivery / collection of mail, documents, pouches, equipment and other items as required
- Meeting official personnel at the airport and other entry points, facilitates immigration and customs formalities and provides city transfers as required;
- Ensure safe and timely driving for field trips in- or out-side the country;
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Interacts with the traffic police and/or other competent parties on all issues related to vehicle registration, un-registration, technical inspection, pass authorization, foreign travel formalities etc.;
- Ensures that the steps required by applicable laws, rules and regulations are taken in case if involvement of the Mission vehicle in a traffic accident;
- Provides full and accurate event and accident reports as required;
- Ensures that the vehicle is kept clean;
- Ensures vehicle security;
- Provides troubleshooting services for the office premises, affiliate facilities and furniture;
- Performs other duties as required by Head of Field Office Otaci.
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent;
- Valid driver’s license of at least category B;
- Five (5) years’ work experience as a driver (recommendations required);
- Experience of work for international organizations is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of applicable Traffic Rules of Moldova;
- Skills in minor and emergency vehicle repair;
- Safe driving record;
- Fluency in Romanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement;
- Basic knowledge of office software (MS Word/Excel/Outlook/Internet Explorer) is an asset.
This is a local position opened for citizens and residents of the Republic of Moldova.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Method of application:
Interested applicants are invited to send IOM personal history form (http://eubam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Personal-History-Form.xls) and cover letter in English to: email@example.com. Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message. Closing date for applications is 12 March 2017 however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2023.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS representatives perform the customs control duties, supported by MoIA representatives. Six BMA subdivisions, in which foreigners can voluntarily register or de-register, are also located on the boundary line.