Application deadline01.09.2016 Active Closed
Type of contractConsultancy Contract
Language requiredFluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Romanian, Ukrainian and/or Russian is an asset
Expected duration of assignment6 weeks
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Fee: EUR 450 per billable day
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 6 weeks
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Nature of the consultancy: Advisory services and support on strategic and operational issues related to phyto-sanitary to officials of the Government of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
- IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing: European Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine.
- Organizational Context: The EU Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine, with IOM as the EU’s implementing partner. The Mission is a technical assistance and advisory body that aims at enhancing the border and customs management capacities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine, approximate the standards of the border and law enforcement authorities to those of the EU and to enhance the implementation of the rule of law.
- Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work: The Expert on Phyto-sanitary issues works in EUBAM Office in Moldova under the overall supervision of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova and in close cooperation with the Customs, Trade and Governance Office. His/her main responsibility is to ensure fulfilling of the relevant tasks of the EUBAM Office in Chisinau and provide advice and support on strategic and operational issues related to phyto-sanitary.
- Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Provide support and substantive advice in helping the phyto-sanitary authorities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine to approximate their procedures and approaches to those of the EU in line with Association Agreement and Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area requirements.
- Participate in planning, development and implementation of EUBAM initiatives supporting the phyto-sanitary authorities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
- Provide advice and assistance in organizing, coordinating, carrying out assessments of phyto-sanitary control procedures (including through the use of advanced tools such as risk analysis/assessment, proportion of e-systems, simplified procedures, etc.).
- Support the phyto-sanitary agencies in reviewing the normative framework through identifying possible gaps and supporting the drafting of relevant normative amendments in line with the respective strategy, EU-Moldova/Ukrainian Association Agreement, the Action Plan for Its Implementation and other relevant guiding instruments.
- Provide specialist advice on the interpretation and improvement of rules and regulations on phyto-sanitary control.
- In coordination with the EUBAM, support the phyto-sanitary authorities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine in assessing control operational needs, suggest and promote capacity building initiatives and develop other necessary recommendations for the implementation of the relevant parts of the Association Agreement and the Action Plan for its Implementation and other relevant initiatives.
- Provide advice on the implementation of reliable testing, diagnostics, and quarantine/destruction measures of goods.
- Support the specialized national authorities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine in the effective exchange of information (on presence of diseases and pests).
- Take the lead in monitoring compliance of the implementation of trade policy measures in the field of phyto-sanitary.
- Ensure timely and appropriate reporting on his/her activity.
- Consult with EUBAM on appropriate and agreed approaches to the specified tasks prior to assumption of the tasks. Upon completion of the tasks provide to EUBAM a final report on the consultancy assignment and its outcomes, offering observations on the impact of the consultancy for the national/regional programmes it is supporting and any future assignments by the Organization.
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned.
- Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment.
Key outputs will include:
- Compilation of a thorough and detailed checklist/questionnaire elaborated in consultation with other actors projects and programmes in the area of phyto-sanitary reform within Moldova and Ukraine that seeks to identify and/or confirm approximation of procedures and standards to those of the EU by the appropriate designated authorities and relevant agencies at the border between Moldova and Ukraine as well as the Transnistrian region in line with the requirements of the Association Agreement and Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area.
- The drafting of a comprehensive assessment report to be completed before the end of the assignment to contain a comprehensive description of areas, where legislation and procedures, in relation to activities undertaken by authorities at the border of Moldova and Ukraine including the Transnistrian region, need further adaptation or improvement.
- Realistic delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered.
The assignment shall commence no later than 1 October 2016 and conclude prior to 30 November 2016 utilizing a maximum period of thirty (30) billable days.
- Monitoring and reporting requirements:
The Expert on Phyto-sanitary issues reports to the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova, who is responsible for evaluation of performance and quality of the work deliverables. The reporting takes place through written and verbal briefs.
The working language of the assignment shall be English and all reports and formal communications relating to the assignment shall be in the English language. If required by the partners for organizational convenience translation from English to Russian or Romanian language, will be coordinated by EUBAM.
All presentations, reports or formal correspondence shall follow appropriate EUBAM communications templates and in the first instance shall be submitted through the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova, who may decide to subject such presentations or draft reports to peer review by other EUBAM experts, prior to release of such products to originally intended audience.
The Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova is responsible for approving the format, content and quality of such reports on behalf of EUBAM, prior to the release of such presentations and reports to the relevant agencies in the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
Following approval of presentations and reports by EUBAM, the release of reports to the relevant partners in the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine shall carry with it the transfer of full ownership and intellectual property rights attached thereto, without constraint. All presentations, reports and correspondence shall be submitted to the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova in electronic form using Microsoft Word / PowerPoint and / or PDF format.
No documentation produced by the consultant in relation to this assignment, shall subsequently be published, released or distributed by the consultant to a third party without the express, prior written approval of IOM the EUBAM Head of Mission. This constraint shall survive the expiry date of the contract under which the consultant is engaged to undertake this assignment.
- Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Active civil servan