Application deadline21.11.2017 Active Closed
Type of contractIndividual Contractor (IC)
Language requiredFluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset
Expected duration of assignment1 December 2017 - 30 November 2018
|Duty Station:||Chisinau, Republic of Moldova|
|Type of Appointment:||IC Contract, post available immediately|
|Organizational Unit:||EUBAM Office in Moldova|
|Direct Supervisor:||Head of Mission|
Organizational Context: In June 2005, the Presidents of Moldova and Ukraine sent a joint letter to the EU requesting assistance for enhanced border management capacities, including the development of an international standard of border and customs control at the state border of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The EU responded positively to this request and an EU Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. This announcement is subject to the signature of a contribution agreement between the European Commission and IOM.
Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work:
The Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova works under the overall supervision and with delegated authority of the Head of Mission and manages the activities of the EUBAM Office in Moldova and coordinate the activities of the EUBAM field offices in Moldova and the Transnistrian Settlement Team. S/he coordinates the strategic objectives for the Mission’s interventions in the Republic of Moldova and is responsible for the results of the EUBAM Action Plan as relates to the confidence building measures. S/he ensures sustainability of the implementation of services and products related to the activities of the office. S/he works closely with various Moldovan and international partners.
The Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova assumes overall coordination responsibility for EUBAM in the Republic of Moldova and is the main EUBAM interlocutor for the EU Delegation to Moldova in the Republic of Moldova.
S/he coordinates and guides the work of a team of international experts and national personnel.
S/he supports the Head of Mission to act as an advisor on customs/police matters to the Head of the EU Delegation to the Republic of Moldova on matters related to the Transnistrian conflict.
Detailed description of activities:
- Manage and oversee the EUBAM Office in Moldova (including the Transnistrian Settlement Team and EUBAM Field Offices in Moldova) and manage its activities as per the Mission mandate and the Description of Action.
- Plan and organise the work of the international contracted and seconded personnel under his/her direct supervision and responsibility, determine tasks and work plans and monitor results.
- Coordinate, in support of implementation of EUBAM Action Plan and various activities, with the Customs Service, Border Police Department, National Food Safety Agency and other law enforcement agencies of the Republic of Moldova and law enforcement attachés of EU Member States and other Moldovan authorities.
- Represent EUBAM in senior level meetings with the Moldovan partner services.
- Ensure discipline and obedience to the Code of Conduct/ Standard Administrative Procedures and instructions issued by EUBAM Headquarters.
- Ensure that the advice and support provided by the EUBAM field personnel to the partner services is pro-active, considers the provisions of the Moldovan legislation and is in line with rules/regulations of the EU and the best practices of EU member states and follows EUBAM instructions.
- Prepare weekly and ad hoc reports (situation reports, incident reports).
- Provide support to Mission´s specific operational activities (such as investigations or analysis).
- Facilitate exchange of information between partner services by organisation of meetings and coordination of joint activities at the local level.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned.
- Management of the EUBAM Office in Moldova by supervision of international contracted and seconded experts and national personnel.
- Support to implementation of EUBAM Action Plan through coordination with various Moldovan stakeholders (as per EUBAM action plan).
- Represent EUBAM towards Moldovan partner services (as per EUBAM action plan).
- Overall responsibility for planning and implementation of monitoring and support activities of the EUBAM Office in Moldova (as per EUBAM action plan)
- Contribution made towards settlement of the Transnistrian issue.
Monitoring and reporting requirements:
The Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova reports to the Head of EUBAM who is responsible for appraisal of performance and quality of work deliverables. The reporting takes place through written and verbal briefs.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent), preferably in law, economics, social sciences or a related field or Diploma from Police/Customs/Border Guard or Border Police Academy of the same level.
- Experience as national or international law enforcement official or civil servant of a EU Member State or EU institution.
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience, of which (i) 10 years operational experience in law enforcement/border or customs services and (ii) 5 years at management level.
- In-depth knowledge of the integrated border management concept. Experience in implementing the concept of integrated border management at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience with customs/border management projects in transition/developing countries is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to decisively build and manage teams in a multinational environment and manage complex partner/stakeholder relationships.
- Very good interpersonal, communications and drafting skills.
- Excellent knowledge of EU policy in the Eastern Neighbourhood, especially related to the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine and EU-UA and EU-MD relations in the sphere of customs and border management is an asset.
- Political acumen and analytical ability is an asset.
- A nuanced understanding of the Transnistrian issue is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of Moldovan and Ukrainian state institutions is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset.
- Computer literacy (Windows applications).
- National certificate of no criminal record.
Email your CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications November 21, 2017; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
The candidates who applied for this position earlier in August-October 2017 will be considered automatically, there is no need to re-apply.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2023.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and i