Application deadline10.10.2020 Active Closed
Type of contractIndividual Contractor (IC)
Language requiredFluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset
Expected duration of assignment1 December 2020 - 30 November 2021
EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine
Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office
Head of Mission
Organizational Context: In June 2005, the Presidents of Moldova and Ukraine sent a joint letter to the EU requesting assistance for enhanced border management capacities, including the development of an international standard of border and customs control at the state border of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The EU responded positively to this request and an EU Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. This announcement is subject to the signature of a contribution agreement between the European Commission and IOM.
Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work:
Head of the Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office/Officer in Charge of EUBAM (Head of PACO/OiC) works under the overall supervision and with delegated authority of the Head of Mission and manages the activities of the Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office (PACO). S/he develops and implements the strategic objectives for the Mission’s planning, analytical and reporting interventions. S/he is in charge of EUBAM´s performance management system and its consistent implementation through a comprehensive range of aiding processes and tools. S/he works closely with various Moldovan, Ukrainian and international partners.
The Head of PACO/OiC assumes overall responsibility for EUBAM in the absence of the Head of Mission.
S/he co–ordinates and guides the work of a team of international experts and national personnel.
Detailed description of activities:
- Co–ordinate the planning and implementation of EUBAM operational activities within the two partner countries. Oversee and supervise the work of the PACO.
- Oversee, co–ordinate, and manage the strategic planning processes of EUBAM by developing and formulating a Mission-wide planning framework, plans and inputs to various planning documents required for the development and formulation of EUBAM Action Plan.
- Design and develop systems and tools for result-based management and monitoring of progress towards objectives and results within the EUBAM Action Plan.
- Design and develop systems and tools for monitoring the implementation of activities within the EUBAM Plan of Action and ensure EUBAM-wide implementation by establishment of mechanisms for update and follow-up.
- Co-ordinate and prepare and formulate regular reports on progress achieved in the implementation of EUBAM Plan of Action such as Mission’s monthly and annual reports. Contribute to the drafting of the Mission’s narrative progress and final reports according to the General Conditions.
- Co-ordinate and supervise preparation and delivery of periodic and ad hoc analytical and operational products (reports, briefings, risk analyses, presentations, evaluations, write-ups).
- Contribute to the elaboration and regular updating of assessments of operational capacities of all levels of border management – at the strategic, operational, and tactical level.
- Formulate operational plans and orders, official documents and correspondence including those associated with sensitive or EU restricted data and information.
- Ensure the monitoring of the implementation of recommendations and proposals made by EUBAM through consultations with partner services, assessments, and reviews.
- Maintain contacts and co-operate with the EU institutions, FRONTEX, Europol, services of the EU Member States and relevant international organisations such as IOM, SELEC and ICMPD to ensure the coordination of activities in the relevant sectors.
- Oversee and co–ordinate all activities of Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office, cooperate and co–ordinate activities with other teams within EUBAM.
- Plan and manage the tasks and work plans and monitor results of international experts and national personnel in Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office in accordance to the EUBAM Action Plan.
- Organise and participate regular internal meetings related to the implementation of the Action Plan, such as monthly internal coordination meetings.
- Take the lead in organising and participate in external meetings to review the implementation of EUBAM’s Action Plan, including meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Oversee the day-to-day resource management.
- Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Head of Mission and within the framework of EUBAM mandate and the Description of Action.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Coordination of planning and implementation of EUBAM operational activities within the two partner countries.
- Responsibility for the day-to-day support to EUBAM HoM on all aspects related to EUBAM activities at HQ and all field locations (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
- Timely submission of high-quality, analytical periodic and ad hoc reports for use by EUBAM and partners.
- Development of planning, coordination, and reporting processes of EUBAM with the objective of effective