Application deadline24.06.2016 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract
Language requiredRomanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English
Position Title: Legal Assistant
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Type of Appointment: Service Contract
Organizational unit: EUBAM Office in Moldova
Estimated Start Date: 18 July 2016
Expected duration of assignment: 18 July 2016 – 30 November 2016 (with possibility of extension)
Closing Date: 24 June 2016
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova, the Legal Assistant analyses Customs and Civil Service legislation of Moldova, relevant to the Human Resources Management, and related policies, social and economic trends.
The Legal Assistant participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of EUBAM and Customs and Border Police Service policies and activities within the portfolio. The incumbent drafts related policy documents, legal acts, and procedural descriptions and contributes to regular reporting.
The Legal Assistant works in close collaboration with the EUBAM staff located in Chisinau (Moldova). The Legal Assistant creates and maintains regular contacts with relevant Customs, Border Police officers and officials of other relevant state authorities (e.g. Civil Service, MoF etc.).
- Implementation of programme strategies and activities, tasks of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova
- Analyses and researches legal, social and economic situation in Moldova in Human Resources Management, and prepares substantive input to EUBAM documents
- Provides assistance in drafting policies, legal and operational documents in conformity with national legislation and project goals
- Analyses and integrates earlier recommendations in the area
- Assures smooth operational running of the project by means of following IOM and EC established operational rules and procedures
- Participates in project activities preparation, implementation and follow up
- Provides oral and written translations from English into Romanian or Russian and vice versa as required by the project
- Proofreads and/or edits the project’s correspondence and other official documents.
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the Customs Service of Moldova and the Border Police Department of the Ministry of Interior of Moldova, and facilitation of knowledge building
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identifies and applies local and EU best practice (e.g. Customs Blueprints) and lessons learned directly linked to EUBAM policy goals
- Organizes and supports relevant training for Customs and Border Police
- Ensures personal professional growth through active learning
- University degree in law;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national level in providing legal services;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the relevant Moldovan legislation and procedures and processes;
- Experience in the area of Human Resources Management is desirable;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company or NGO is an advantage as well as any international experience;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Fluency in Romanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement.
Method of application:
Interested applicants are invited to send their personal history form and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message. Closing date for applications is 24 June 2016 however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2020.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS representatives perform the customs control duties, supported by MoIA representatives. Six BMA subdivisions, in which foreigners can voluntarily register or de-register, are also located on the boundary line.