Application deadline24.06.2016 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract
Language requiredRomanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English
Position Title: Legal Assistant
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Type of Appointment: Service Contract
Organizational unit: EUBAM Office in Moldova
Estimated Start Date: 18 July 2016
Expected duration of assignment: 18 July 2016 – 30 November 2016 (with possibility of extension)
Closing Date: 24 June 2016
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova, the Legal Assistant analyses Customs and Civil Service legislation of Moldova, relevant to the Human Resources Management, and related policies, social and economic trends.
The Legal Assistant participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of EUBAM and Customs and Border Police Service policies and activities within the portfolio. The incumbent drafts related policy documents, legal acts, and procedural descriptions and contributes to regular reporting.
The Legal Assistant works in close collaboration with the EUBAM staff located in Chisinau (Moldova). The Legal Assistant creates and maintains regular contacts with relevant Customs, Border Police officers and officials of other relevant state authorities (e.g. Civil Service, MoF etc.).
- Implementation of programme strategies and activities, tasks of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova
- Analyses and researches legal, social and economic situation in Moldova in Human Resources Management, and prepares substantive input to EUBAM documents
- Provides assistance in drafting policies, legal and operational documents in conformity with national legislation and project goals
- Analyses and integrates earlier recommendations in the area
- Assures smooth operational running of the project by means of following IOM and EC established operational rules and procedures
- Participates in project activities preparation, implementation and follow up
- Provides oral and written translations from English into Romanian or Russian and vice versa as required by the project
- Proofreads and/or edits the project’s correspondence and other official documents.
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the Customs Service of Moldova and the Border Police Department of the Ministry of Interior of Moldova, and facilitation of knowledge building
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identifies and applies local and EU best practice (e.g. Customs Blueprints) and lessons learned directly linked to EUBAM policy goals
- Organizes and supports relevant training for Customs and Border Police
- Ensures personal professional growth through active learning
- University degree in law;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national level in providing legal services;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the relevant Moldovan legislation and procedures and processes;
- Experience in the area of Human Resources Management is desirable;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company or NGO is an advantage as well as any international experience;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Fluency in Romanian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement.
Method of application:
Interested applicants are invited to send their personal history form and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message. Closing date for applications is 24 June 2016 however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2023.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Unio