Application deadline20.09.2017 Active Closed
Type of contractIC Contract
Language requiredFluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset
Expected duration of assignment1 December 2017 - 30 November 2018
|Duty Station:||EUBAM HQ, Odessa, Ukraine|
|Classification:||Individual Contractor (IC)|
|Organizational Unit:||Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office|
|Direct Supervisor:||Head, Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office (Head of PACO/OiC)|
Organizational Context: In June 2005, the Presidents of Moldova and Ukraine sent a joint letter to the EU requesting assistance for enhanced border management capacities, including the development of an international standard of border and customs control at the state border of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The EU responded positively to this request and an EU Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The initial duration of EUBAM was 2 years, until November 2007. Its mandate has been extended until 30 November 2017. The procedure for the fifth extension is ongoing. This announcement is subject to the signature of a contribution agreement between the European Commission and IOM.
Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work:
Planning, Analysis and Co-ordination Officer is responsible for collection of information and data from various sources and preparation of analytical products (such as reports and statistics) for the use of EUBAM and various partner institutions. S/he is in charge of tactical coordination between the various parts of EUBAM and partner institutions and function as the 1st service point in relation to the operations of the EUBAM offices in Moldova and in Ukraine.
Detailed description of activities:
- Provide support and substantive advice to strategy, planning and implementation process as well as functions, structures and management mechanism of EUBAM.
- Act as a 1st service point for operational issues, particularly in relation to the EUBAM offices in Moldova and in Ukraine, ensure the timeliness and effectiveness of the operational support provided as the 1st service point.
- Prepare and formulate regular reports on progress achieved in the implementation of EUBAM Plan of Action such as Mission’s monthly and annual reports. Contribute to the drafting of the Mission’s narrative progress and final reports according to the General Conditions.
- Ensure information flows and share information within the EUBAM and with partner services.
- Analyze data and information received from the EUBAM units and partner services using wide selection of research tools with the objective to solicit findings and observations. Ensure implementation of proper controls of non-violation of data-protection guidelines within PACO and ensure archiving of all operational data.
- Contribute to drafting regular reports (weekly, monthly, annual, activity progress,) and ad hoc reports (incident, thematic, special including recommendations).
- Preparation and delivery of periodic and ad hoc analytical and operational products (reports, briefings, risk analyses, presentations, evaluations, write-ups).
- Within the mandate of the Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office review and assess the flow of information (weekly reports, reports and other internal documents such as advice and recommendations produced by the EUBAM Office in Moldova and Ukraine, propose/ take corrective action.
- Provide day-to-day advice to the offices in line with the EUBAM Action Plan and other Mission-wide planning and monitoring activities.
- Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Head of PACO. Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Reliable and accurate analytical outputs formulated for use of EUBAM and partner services (as per EUBAM action plan).
- Timely inputs to periodic and ad hoc reports for use of EUBAM and partners produced annually (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
- Support to the implementation of EUBAM Action Plan through effective coordination of the Mission’s activities within two partner countries (as per EUBAM Action Plan).
Monitoring and reporting requirements:
Planning, Analysis and Co-ordination Officer reports to the Head of PACO/OiC who is responsible for appraisal of performance and quality of work deliverables. The reporting takes place through written and verbal briefs.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent), in law, economics, social science or a related field or Diploma from Police/Customs/Border Police or Border Guards Academy of the same level.
- Experience as national or international law enforcement official or civil servant of a EU Member State or EU institution.
- At least 10 years of operational experience in law enforcement/border or customs services, of which at least 4 years at management level.
- International experience with customs/border police reform projects in developing countries is an asset.
- Good communications, interpersonal and drafting skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other EU languages (Romanian, in particular) and Russian and/or Ukrainian is an asset.
- Computer literacy (Windows applications).
- National certificate of no criminal record.
Email your CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications September 20, 2017; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.