Application deadline09.11.2020 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract (SC)
Language requiredFluency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages is a must
Expected duration of assignmentTwelve months, 1 December 2020 – 30 November 2021
|Duty Station:||EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine|
|Organizational Unit:||Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office (PACO)|
|Direct supervisor:||Head of Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office, Officer-in-Charge of EUBAM|
General Functions: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Planning, Analysis and Coordination Office, Officer-in-Charge of EUBAM, the incumbent contributes to the smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Ukraine and to the implementation of EUBAM’s key objectives through planning, analysis, coordination and reporting. The Project Specialist works in close collaboration with the National Finance Officer, National Administrative/Human Resources Officer and National Procurement and Logistics Officer of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies, and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Coordinate/facilitate projects in support of PACO initiatives and contribute to the development of PACO concept papers and strategies;
- Support the development and implementation of initiatives directly linked to modernization and reforming processes in partner services; monitor and adjust, where necessary, capacity building policies applied by EUBAM;
- Support the Head of PACO and PACO Officer in identification of new targeted projects related to EUBAM key activities on integrated border management. Facilitate communication and coordinate projects with partner services through regular consultations. Participate in preparation, implementation and follow up on project activities;
- Initiate and guide projects in support of EUBAM strategic and operational objectives and in line with the needs identified in the border management development area;
- Coordinate capacity building activities by maintaining contacts and communication with national training institutions; initiate and facilitate project related training/learning activities. Contribute to the elaboration and regular updating of assessments of operational capacities of partner services at operational and tactical levels;
- Contribute to EUBAM progress accounting and planning processes by evaluating and mapping partner services’ needs, drafting regular reports on progress achieved in the implementation of EUBAM Action Plan such as Mission’s monthly, annual, ad-hoc reports, Activity reports and the narrative progress and final reports according to the General Conditions in a timely and qualitative manner based on internal documents approved by the EUBAM management. Contribute preparing briefings, presentations and background papers, , including those meant for presentation to the partner services and the EU institutions. Review, edit and proofread operational reports/concepts/plans, special reports, and topical briefings towards EUBAM standards and in conformity with the specific target of the tasks;
- Maintain updated networks of governmental and non-governmental institutions, international institutions of project partners, local authorities, NGOs, academia, contractors, consultants, and suppliers to ensure the co-ordination of activities in the relevant sectors;
- Contribute to organization and participate in internal and external meetings related to the implementation of the Action Plan, including the Advisory Board meetings. Prepare and translate project-related official and legal documents, provide oral translation of consultations from English into Ukrainian or Russian and vice versa. Proofread and/or edit project’s correspondence and other official documents;
- Ensure data collection, analysis, and maintenance of project-related files and facilitate project audit, monitoring, evaluation, field visits, missions of the experts;
- Provide logistical support (travel arrangements, including visas, tickets, etc.) to the EUBAM experts and facilitate the process of procurement and delivery of goods and services. Enlist support of the liaison officers of the partner services of the host countries as necessitated by the operational and travel needs of EUBAM international experts;
- Ensure due care of premises, equipment, vehicles (including their spare parts, consumables, keys etc.), supplies and other property that is entrusted to him/her;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree in philology, economics, finance, law, public administration, political science, international relations, or other related fields;
- Six years of progressive experience in administrative work, or in projects on business management/economy, border (border guard/customs)- related, law-enforcement or other substantive area is required;
- Previous experience in an international organization, donor organization, consulting company or NGO in research, project administration. project development, and implementation fields is a very strong advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in liaison and policy functions, including partnership with host governments;
- Good analytical skills, ability to interpret information, identify and analyse problems, ability to evaluate concepts and procedures;
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures
- Sound background in coordination, analysis, and reporting;
- Thorough understanding of concepts and current developments related to the border management;
- Practical knowledge of data visualization techniques;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software;
- Fluency in both oral and written English, Ukrainian and Russian languages is a must;
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions, and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
Appointment is subject to budget availability and funding confirmation.
Email your IOM Personal History form (http://eubam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Personal-History-Form.xls) and cover letter in English to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 9 November 2020; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2023.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25