Application deadline30.11.2018 Active Closed
Language requiredFluency in English, Ukrainian, Russian
I. Position Information
|Duty station||Odesa, Ukraine|
|Organizational unit||Safety and Security Office, EUBAM|
|Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, liaison office or country office based position?||Country office|
|Appointment type||SST, Ungraded (€ 1,330 per month, payments shall be done in Ukrainian Hryvnia at the United Nation operational rates of exchange at the month of payment)|
|Reports directly to||National Security Officer|
|Complete WBS (up to the 5th level)||IB.0033.UA20.11.06.006|
II. Organizational Context and Scope
|Under the direct supervision/direction of the National Security Officer (SO), with the overall supervision of EUBAM Head of Mission, IOM Ukraine Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will provide general assistance in the safety/security management of IOM staff and EUBAM operations.|
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
|1. Provide assistance in collaboration, coordination and establishment of networks with other international organizations, government security services and agencies working in the security management field, ensure appropriate lines of communications relating to all aspects of staff safety and security related to EUBAM are established and well maintained.
2. Support to conduct facilities and operational safety/security threats assessments/evaluations and provide recommendations, in coordination with the Mission’s Operations team, UNDSS, and SSU Operations Centre. He/she will assist to provide relevant technical and strategic analysis on potential threats/risks to staff/IOM programmes and ensure that appropriate safety/security information is disseminated to staff.
3. Develop a comprehensive working knowledge of the IOM-UNDSS Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) related to various security protocols. This will include the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS), Minimum Operating Residence Security Standards (MORSS), UNDSS Mission Security Risk Assessments (SRAs) and the UNDSS Field Security Handbook.
4. Provide assistance in reviewing and monitoring the level of MOSS and MORSS compliance and effectively address all non-compliance findings.
5. Support actions during emergency exercises to ensure that staff are following established security procedures and provide relevant trainings and refresher trainings to ensure staff members are fully aware of security procedures in the field.
6. Provide assistance in maintaining the EUBAM’s Emergency/Contingency Plans (such as operations and medical evacuation, Business Continuity Plan (BCP), and emergency communications systems).
7. Review staff movements’ tracking system and accommodation security procedures. Keeps accurate staff roster/list through the EUBAM.
8. Assist in ensuring timely reporting to the local and/or national authorities, UNDSS and IOM SSU on security incidents.
9. Keep track all security equipment as per IOM procedure.Provide general administrative assistance to the SO.
10. Conduct annual performance appraisal exercise for EUBAM Security Guards contracted on service contracts (non-IOM staff).
11. Perform such other relevant duties as may be assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
|· Completed advanced University degree from an accredited academic institution in Security Management/Social Sciences and/or extensive Military experience, Law Enforcement, Disaster (Risk) Management, International Studies, Communications or related disciplines.|
|· Five years of work experience in security management systems, law enforcement and military disciplines;
· Experience in United Nations missions, international peacekeeping, emergency humanitarian operations, strategic security planning, security training and operational security management with national security agencies, private companies or international organizations is highly desirable, preferably with international experience;
· Valid driving licence, ability to drive 4×4 vehicles with manual transmission.
|Required (specify the required knowledge)||Advantageous|
|The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Send your CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 30 November 2018; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2023.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS repre