Application deadline17.06.2018 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract (SC)
Language requiredFluency in both oral and written Ukrainian and Russian languages is a must. Knowledge of spoken English is mandatory
Expected duration of assignment5 months, 1 July 2018 – 30 November 2018
| Duty Station:
|EUBAM HQ, Odesa, Ukraine
Safety and Security Office
National Security Officer
General Functions: Under the direct supervision of National Security Officer and Security Assistant, the incumbent contributes to the smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Ukraine. The employee assists in the effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions, including securing EUBAM premises, grounds, property and personnel and provision of the administrative support.
- Patrol and maintain security of the EUBAM office premises and grounds, including overnight guard duties, and report irregularities to the supervisor;
- Respond to the emergencies affecting safety of the premises and notify the supervisor and emergency services. Immediately undertake all appropriate actions to respond to the emergency;
- In event of emergency, follow the procedures outlined in the EUBAM Security Plan;
- Conduct after-hours security inspections for building security, fire security and safety purposes;
- Ensure that all office appliances, machines, etc., are turned off after working hours;
- Control admission of authorized personnel and movement of Mission property into and out of the premises;
- Assist receptionist in attending to the visitors and directing them to the respective staff;
- Prevent unwanted visitors from entering the building;
- Ensure entrance of visitors only through the main entrance or through the backyard entrance upon visual identification of the individual;
- Collect safety and security related information from different open sources and summarize the findings in the special report;
- Assist in ensuring continuous operation of the onsite CCTV, movement control and other office security systems;
- Maintain incidents log, keep track of outgoing and incoming vehicles beyond the office working hours;
- Perform other functions/tasks when required.
- At least secondary education. University Degree is desirable, but is not a requirement;
- Five years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related fields of work;
- Previous experience with UN system or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a very strong advantage;
- Fluency in both oral and written Ukrainian and Russian languages is a must. Knowledge of spoken English is mandatory;
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation is desirable;
- Valid driving license of category B is desirable;
- Basic knowledge of the office software (MS Word/Excel/Outlook/Internet Explorer) is required.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation. Send your CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com
Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 17 June 2018; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner. Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2020.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS representatives perform the customs control duties, supported by MoIA representatives. Six BMA subdivisions, in which foreigners can voluntarily register or de-register, are also located on the boundary line.