Application deadline29.02.2016 Active Closed
Type of contractIndividual Contractor (IC)
Language requiredFluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Romanian and/or Russian, in particular is an asset.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
|Duty Station:||Chisinau, Republic of Moldova|
|Classification:||Individual Contractor (IC)|
|Position’s Title:||Team Leader of Transnistrian Settlement Office|
|Type of Appointment:||IC Contract|
|Organizational Unit:||EUBAM Office in Moldova|
|Direct Supervisor:||Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova|
Organizational Context: The EU Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) to Moldova and Ukraine was established, based on a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 7 October 2005 by the European Commission, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine, with IOM as the EU’s implementing partner. The mandate of EUBAM runs through 30 November 2017.
The Mission is a technical assistance and advisory body that aims at enhancing the border and customs management capacities of the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine, approximate the standards of the border and law enforcement authorities to those of the EU and to enhance the implementation of the rule of law.
Main objectives of the assignment/scope of work:
Team Leader of Transnistrian Settlement Office manages the activities of the Transnistrian Settlement Office and works under the supervision of the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova. S/he develops and implements the strategic objectives for the Mission´s Confidence Building Measures interventions and is responsible for the results of the EUBAM Action Plan as relates to Confidence Building Measures activities. S/he works closely with various Moldovan and Ukrainian and international partners. S/he acts as advisor and is responsible to provide advice and on formulation and implementation of EUBAM´s strategies and activities related to the Transnistrian issue.
S/he coordinates and guides the work of a team of international experts and national personnel.
Detailed description of activities:
- Define and formulate results for EUBAM´s interventions in Confidence Building Measures fields of work, plan activities of Transnistrian Settlement Office with the objective of effective implementation of the EUBAM Action Plan.
- Oversee and coordinate all activities of the Transnistrian Settlement Office and coordinate activities between Transnistrian Settlement Office and other parts of EUBAM.
- Plan and determine tasks and work plans and monitor results of international experts and national personnel in the Transnistrian Settlement Office in accordance to the EUBAM mandate.
- Support the Mission Management in strategic decision-making and establishment of EUBAM policy on national and international levels and the Head of Mission and Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova and in regard to the technical support of the Transnistrian issues.
- Study and prepare potential technical proposals in the frame of the control of travelers and goods related to the central segment of the Ukraine-Moldova state border.
- Conceptualize and implement technical plans and projects to facilitate the confidence-building activities. Facilitate communication processes between the parties by organizing meetings, information exchanges and consultations between the stakeholders.
- Formulate and draft plans, briefs, and concept papers on various technical topics related to Transnistrian issue.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Concepts and plans for operationalisation of EUBAM´s mandate in the field of Confidence Building Measures to partner institutions as relates to the settlement of the Transnistrian issue.
- Overall responsibility for planning and implementation of EUBAM´s objectives and activities in the area of Confidence Building Measures to partner institutions as relates to the settlement of the conflict in Transnistria (as per EUBAM action plan).
- Day-to-day management of Transnistrian Settlement Office personnel (as per EUBAM action plan)
- Advice through written inputs (drafts, comments, opinions, proposals and recommendations) to Moldovan and Ukrainian partner services related to legislative, functional and structural issues related to operationalisation of the Confidence Building measures to partner institutions as relates to the settlement of the Transnistrian issue (as per EUBAM action plan).
Monitoring and reporting requirements:
Team Leader of Transnistrian Settlement Office reports to the Head of EUBAM Office in Moldova who is responsible for appraisal of performance and quality of work deliverables. The reporting takes place through written and verbal briefs.
- Master’s degree, preferably in law, economics, social sciences or a related field or Diploma from Police/Customs/Border Guard or Border Police Academy of the same level complemented with minimum eight (8) years of relevant working experience and specialized training.
- Experience as national or international law enforcement official or civil servant of a EU Member State or EU institution.
- At least ten (10) years of operational experience in border management activities, of which at least five (5) years at management level.
- Knowledge and excellent understanding of the Transnistrian issue.
- Experience with customs/border management projects in transition/developing countries is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to decisively build and manage teams in a multinational environment and manage complex partner/stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and drafting skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Romanian and/or Russian, in particular is an asset.
- Computer literacy (Windows applications).
- National certificate of no criminal record.
NOTE: Email your CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
As per the EU’s commitment to improve gender balance in EU missions at the management levels, qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications February 29, 2016; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.