Application deadline31.10.2018 Active Closed
Type of contractService Contract (SC)
Language requiredFluency in Ukrainian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement
Expected duration of assignment1 December 2018 – 30 November 2019
|Field Office Odesa and Chornomorsk Ports, Ukraine
Head of Field Office Odesa and Chornomorsk Ports
General Functions: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Filed Office Odesa and Chornomorsk Ports, overall supervision of the Chief of Administration and in close coordination with the Senior Driver, the incumbent assists in smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in Ukraine. The Transportation, Field Clerk works in close collaboration with the National Finance Officer, National Administrative/Human Resources Officer and National Procurement and Logistics Officer of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles through timely minor repairs, arrangements for other related repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Perform minor vehicle repairs, plans and arrange for other repairs, replacement, services and maintenance procedure as coordinated with the Head of the Field Office;
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, preparation of monthly summary of fuel consumption and relevant report to the Senior Driver;
- Keep records of consumables for the vehicles and conduct their monthly inventory check;
- Provide reliable and safe driving services by:
- driving Mission vehicles for the transport of EUBAM personnel;
- delivering / collecting mail, documents, pouches, equipment and other items as required;
- Meet official personnel at the airport and other entry points, facilitate immigration and customs formalities and provide city transfers as required;
- In close cooperation with the National Security Officer, take proper steps to reduce potential security threats to EUBAM officials or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes;
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, map of the city/country, first aid kit, tools and consumables as per vehicle hand-over voucher in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that the steps required by applicable laws, rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement of the Mission vehicle in a traffic accident;
- Provide full and accurate event and accident reports as required;
- Ensure that the vehicles are kept clean;
- Ensure vehicle security;
- Ensure safe and timely driving for field trips in- or outside the country;
- Support procurement of goods and services within delegated level of authority;
- Provide minor repair services of the office equipment within delegated level of authority upon request of supervisor;
- Assisting the supervisor in overall office facilities management by providing supplies of spare parts and consumables upon request of supervisor;
- Provide logistical and administrative support as required;
- Ensure due care of premises, equipment, vehicles (including their spare parts, consumables, keys, etc.) supplies and other property that is entrusted to him/her;
- Perform other duties as required by the Head of the Field Office.
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent;
- Vocational school diploma in economics or procurement is an asset;
- Valid driver’s license of at least category B;
- Five (5) years’ work experience as a driver;
- Experience of work for international organizations is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of applicable Traffic Rules of Ukraine;
- Skills in minor and emergency vehicle repair;
- Safe driving record;
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian; knowledge of spoken English is a mandatory requirement;
- Basic knowledge of office software (MS Word/Excel/Outlook/Internet Explorer) is an asset.
Email your CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications October 31, 2018; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Who we are?
The European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM) was launched in 2005. The legal basis for EUBAM is the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the European Commission and the Governments of Moldova and Ukraine on 7 October 2005.
The current Mission’s mandate is valid until 30 November 2020.
EUBAM promotes border control, customs and trade norms and practices that meet European Union standards, and serve the needs of its two partner countries.
What we do?
The Mission works with Moldova and Ukraine to harmonise border control, and customs and trade standards and procedures with those in EU Member States. It helps to improve cross-border cooperation between the border guard and customs agencies and other law enforcement bodies and to facilitate international coordinated cooperation. EUBAM assists Moldova and Ukraine to fulfil the obligations of the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which both countries signed as part of their Association Agreements with the EU. It also contributes to the peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict through confidence building measures and as a monitoring presence at the Transnistrian segment of the Moldova-Ukraine border.
Where we work?
The Republic of Moldova-Ukraine state border is 1,222 km long, consisting of 955 km of “green” (land) border and 267 km of “blue” (river) border.
The Mission is headquartered in Odesa (Ukraine) with two country offices (in Chisinau – the Republic of Moldova and in Odesa – Ukraine) and six field offices in its area of operation – three on the Moldovan side of the common border and three on the Ukrainian side.
There are 67 border crossing points along the Moldovan-Ukrainian border, including 25 at the central (Transnistrian) segment.
The administrative boundary line between the two banks of the Nistru river is 411 km long. Nine customs posts are located along it, within which MDCS representatives perform the customs control duties, supported by MoIA representatives. Six BMA subdivisions, in which foreigners can voluntarily register or de-register, are also located on the boundary line.